FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Regional C *A RTW & (hopefully) finishing flying every route (100+) for an airline
Old Oct 29, 2008, 10:56 pm
Kiwi Flyer
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
PRISTINA to VIENNA (PRN-VIE) on Austrian Airlines A320-200 in business class (without sleeper seats)

In a hurry, I walked right past check-in area before realising. The terminal is so small that I didn't waste much time though. I checked in and received 4 more boarding passes. I was directed to the ticket desk to get a lounge invitation, but once there I was told I didn't need one - my boarding pass is accepted as the invite. I guess invite cards may be needed for *G passengers in economy (as no large "C" on the boarding pass).

At immigration the officer was confused by my same day entry stamp. Security was simple - no need to remove liquid baggy, and shoes and belt remain on.

There is a single airport operated lounge shared by all the major airlines - British Airways, Austrian Airlines, Adria, Croatia Airlines and Turkish Airlines all fly to Pristina judging by the signs on the door. The lounge has a brand new feel to it. The bathroom is incomplete - no light in the toilet, and no toilet paper either (take some paper hand towels from beside the washbasin)! The lounge also had some drink and evidence that there had been food put out although none remained when I was there. There are 3 computers, which were all in use when I arrived. When one guest hopped off a computer I jumped on to check my messages and do my post to the game thread for canarsie (I've done this especially from Maldives and Kosovo so far this trip). I had barely posted when boarding was called for this flight, and also for the British Airways flight.

This time we were put into a bus to take us out to the aircraft even though it was within easy walking distance and we wouldn't be getting in the way of any vehicles on the ground. There was a delay for a few last stragglers who were brought out to the aircraft one at a time. So, in keeping with the rest of the day's flights, we left late and my onward connection was again dicey.

As we ascended I realised for the first time there is a hill right beside the airport. It is a sign of how gloomy it was that I missed seeing it when we landed. We flew southwest of Pristina, in the wrong direction for Vienna, in order to avoid completely Serbian airspace. I guess they are still sensitive about Kosovo's unilateral declaration of independence earlier in the year.

An airbud was handed out for the IFE, which was showing Just For Laughs. The purser insisted I sample both white wines onboard before choosing which one to have, and then insisted on keeping the glass topped up. It wasn't until afterwards that I remembered I'd had both these wines earlier in the year, and indeed sampled them both on a flight with the very same purser! I preferred the Veltliner.

We didn't make up any time en route. On descent a list of gates were read out for onward connections (same as with American Airlines, and on rare occasions Air New Zealand at Auckland). On landing I was asked to head straight to the gate for the next flight.