FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping
Old Oct 24, 2008, 6:28 pm
thehawk75

Programs: AA PLT 2MM
Originally Posted by JudyS

..But, I need a few thousand dollars more charges by October 30th to qualify for a 15000 Starpoint bonus on my new Amex card. So, buying the coins won't just get me a Starpoint per dollar spent, it will also (hopefully) help get me a 15000 Starpoint bonus. I figured that expedited shipping would make increase my odds of having my credit card charged in time...

I am going to assume you know about the AMEX Travelers Cheques (especially since it's the other active thread in this forum). Of course that assumes you live anywhere near a place to buy them -- but you can order them online, $1000 every two weeks for something like $5 shipping only these days anyway (read the other forum for the coupon code).

Here's a couple other things that might help you hit that threshold:

1) eBay/Microsoft Live cashback offer (currently 25%, max $200 off any 'buy it now' listing paid with paypal). Buy something liquid, I find with 1 OZ gold coins you can actually get under the spot price once you get that $200 cash back 60 days hence. Easily resell it for spot price (actually more), and make a profit. So, there's approximately $800 spending (times 6 if you haven't used it yet).

2) Gift cards (perhaps for airlines you often use)? Do some early Christmas shopping? Not quite as 'conserving' of money, but, all depends how much you'll be short by, if you're paying for expedited shipping, you must be close to your threshold. Maybe over pay a cell phone bill or something? Just thoughts.

Last edited by thehawk75; Oct 24, 2008 at 6:29 pm Reason: asked a question already answered...