FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Buy Presidential Dollar Coins with CC @ Face Value, Free Shipping
Old Oct 21, 2008, 12:57 pm
timothyp_787

Programs: DL Silver
Originally Posted by GuyverII
Dangit, some places are refusing to take these. I had a cashier today say "We don't take them tokens."

Anyone else run into this problem?
Sounds like you ran into an ignorant cashier. I haven't had any real trouble yet, but I only usually use a couple of them at a time. I've run into a couple of folks who look at them (and me) funny, but I have been able to allay their suspicions by reminding them of state quarter program and the Sacagawea gold dollar, and then explaining that this is a program that essentially combines the two. Takes a couple of minutes, but is less annoying than having to dig for singles -- especially if I don't have them.

The closest I came to having them refused is when I got caught at the southbound toll stand of the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel one night with less than $12 dollars in my wallet. I had to scrounge for loose change in my pockets and car, and ended up paying with every bill and coin denomination lower than a five, including pennies. The toll worker kept flipping the dollar coins back and forth suspiciously until I finally swore to her they were legal US dollars. When she responded that she said something like she didn't remember them as being so small before she waived me on, I thought, "Has she not seen a dollar coin since the Ike dollar?"