FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Age discrimination
View Single Post
Old Oct 21, 2008, 1:20 am
ArtfullyUrs
Former user name: laundrian

Programs: Moderator: Traveling with Jewelry, UA GS, Starwood
Age discrimination

I have posted something like this before, but this happened over the weekend that bothered me so much...

I am a 1K, 23 years old who just happen to look VERY young. I couldn't have passed for a high school student. I have a MBA and am working for a big company here in NYC. I travel a lot for work so having 1K is a huge bonus.

Last weekend, I went to the airport early to stand by for a morning flight to SFO from EWR...I got the departure card along with my BP for the confirm flight. I got to the gate and the GA was able to give me the seat. He then ripped off my BP for my confirm flight which I understand.

He called me up later and told me that I would not get on the flight because they changed us to a smaller plane and there won't be enough seats for everyone. He told me that he would book me on another flight. So I stood there, waiting for him to do so while he is helping out other customers. I then asked if I could have my original boarding pass back so I would go out of the security and do it myself at the ticket counter...

He then got all pissy, ripped up my BP and said me " Sir, I don't have time right now, you don't have a boarding pass anymore"

Me: " I did until you gave me my seat then ripped them all"
GA: " If you want, you are welcome to look through the trash"
Me: " OMG , you ARE SO RUDE. Is this how you treat your elite members? That is unacceptable."
GA: " You are disturbing me, I will call TSA and you could talk to them. Now go sit down" ( as he started to pick up the phone )

I am not making this conversation up, there were more to it but I don't feel like typing them all. I tried to looked at his name tag which he got even more angry. I told him I would write him a very nice letter.

He treated me like a child which I did not appreciate. I think if I was older, he would have never used that language toward me. I called to complain but from my experience, they don't really do anything.

I been flying out of EWR at least twice a week and I have ran into him along with his ".....y team". They are very nice to me now consider knowing that I am a 1K member ( they had no idea that I could be a 1K at such young age).

This is not the first time I feel that they treat me wrong because I look young. People have questioned me on how I got my status. Even fellow passengers gave me dirty looks when I board on the RC or sit in C or F.

All I ask is.... please dont judge the book by it cover. Yes I look like I am 17, but you don't know me. Just be nice...