FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - The Status Match Master Thread
View Single Post
Old Oct 20, 2008, 2:17 pm
Sciarella

Programs: CO
Stupid quetions:Should I switch?

Hi everyone, I could use some advice.

I live in AK and I'm about to make Continental Gold Elite, but I fly a lot of little in state jaunts with Alaska Airlines. Alaska credits me for the flights with CO, but I get no upgrades, accessibility, etc. Not to mention just about everyone around here is an Alaska MVP. I fly every month or so somewhere in state, but also do several trips a year down to the Lower 48 (I did 5-6 cross continentals this year). We're planning to live in AK for at least 6 months next year, but hopefully moving back to the Lower 48 after next summer (or whenever the military says we can). My travel schedule should be pretty much the same next year as it is this one. I currently have 5 trips scheduled between now and end of year--3 in state on Alaska, 1 to the Lower 48 on AK, 1 down South that goes across 3 airlines (NW, Delta & Continental).

Question(s): does status matching imply that I have to "give up" my status on CO? If so, should I try to match to Alaska? The other option is to match to NW (which, correct me if I'm wrong, does get you upgrades on Alaska Air). Upgrades and seat availability are the big issues with me, especially the ability to upgrade companion at Gold.

Thanks in advance everyone!