Old Oct 19, 08, 10:46 am
kymbakitty

Programs: HHonors Diamond; Plat Marriott
Ditto...

Originally Posted by DKorda View Post
You will rack up points with Hilton. Marriott still has some catching up to do. Being HH Diamond & MR Plat I will give you some insight.

Hilton is basically a 100% Bonus- If you set you prefrences that was.
Marriott is 30% point bonus.

Hilton will ALWAYS offer you and a companion free breakfast. Whether it's a reward stay or paid stay.

Marriott will only offer free breakfast at FS hotels, weekdays only. Marriott will not give your companion free breakfast. Marriott does not honor free breakfast at any hotel with 'RESORT' in their name. That really sucks.

When I stay at FS Hiltons, either on paid stay or reward, I get upgraded just about every time. When I stay at a Hilton resort, it's 95% upgrade success, and they will give out the suites too!

Marriott will sometimes give you a suite, but it states suites are not included.

I think overall Hilton treats me better than MR, it's easier to maintain status with HH. MR requires 75 nights / yr for plat.

MR does have more (and nicer) FS resorts. The no free breakfast at CY & 'RESORTS' is what really burns me about MR.
I pretty much agree with Dkorda. However, I did not know that my husband will not get free breakfast at a Marriott if he is traveling with me. This seems very odd.....did I read that correctly? Hopefully, if there is a lounge, he would be granted access also...what a waste if that were not the case.

As already mentioned, Diamond status is so much easier to obtain/maintain, mostly due to the fact that they allow stays as well as nights in order to obtain the various levels.

I also stay at RIs mostly and I found out that, for some unknown reason, I only get 50% points for that property--odd, Homewood Suites (very similiar, only a little bit better IMHO) gives full points. I also found out that when I put in my SWA code (thinking I could double dip), I got a lousy .5 points and forfeited my points at the Marriott hotel I was staying! Yikes....good thing that only happened once! I don't bother with SWA because my husband and I don't use those awards for biz travel anyway.

I'm still fighting to keep Diamond Hilton and Gold Marriott for now. I think I'll have much more experience to speak from next year as I start to use more Marriotts than previous years. I do not like the whole lack of breakfast/lounge access in resort properties though....Hilton does not exclude those perks. And when I care about it most, is when I'm traveling OUT of the United States with my husband (which is why I really don't care about the lounges all that much when I'm traveling for my job--in California).

Dawn