FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Legal Travel Advice - SF Wedding
View Single Post
Old Oct 16, 2008, 4:39 pm
SJC1K

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, DL MM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by saint82
I just got married in California, but it will take a few weeks before I get the official paperwork. I am afraid that the proposition against gay marriage may happen before I get the paperwork. Do I need to do something in New Jersey to get my marriage recognized as at least a civil union before the papers come through, or doesn't the timing mean anything?
Congratulations!

My spouse and I (I still can't suppress a huge smile when I type that phrase) walked the certificate in to the County Clerk-Recorder's office to get it recorded and got a dozen certified copies (which we guessed would be a lifetime supply) on the spot. That way we at least have proof that we have been married in case the forces of evil win but marriages are not annulled. I am not a lawyer, but it seemed to be a good idea to get a bunch of copies before the election just in case they become difficult to get but remain recognized elsewhere.

Many people, including the Attorney General of California, believe that even if this abhorrent proposition passes it will not annul existing marriages.

Of course, nothing on the current form reflects gender, so how would they know not to issue copies later? You can infer it from some given names, but there are always exceptions like Michael Learned and Sir Evelyn de Rothschild.