FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - A new phenomenon.. The Southwest gate area intruders!
Old Oct 16, 2008, 2:17 pm
num1bearsfan

Programs: SWA EMP (the ultimate program)
Originally Posted by MikeyZBT
While it might bring a few passengers, I think it would take a LOT more to make people that are used to the "legacy" carriers to move their business to Southwest.

If someone is used to get their complimentary upgrades (and therefore a meal and cocktail... and most have Personal TVs these days as well) week in and week out, it would be a hard sell to get them to go no-frills, no TV, no meals, no first class Southwest.
If we're talking about domestic flights, I don't think the meal is any major loss. I also think IFE systems sort of became irrelevant when people started bringing their laptops on flights. Now almost any serious traveler would not be caught dead without their laptop (the ultimate IFE) on the plane with them. Especially now that onboard WIFI is a reality.

I will give you the first class thing though. I'm a big guy and I would definitely enjoy a larger seat. I would welcome some larger premium seating on Southwest flights. Even if they sort of mirrored Spirit with the "big front seats" by just having a few premium seats up front, that would be cool. But for some reason or another Southwest bean counters have decided that it's not cost effective and I trust their judgment.