FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Registered Traveler (Fly Clear) (Merged Threads)
Old Oct 15, 2008, 1:45 pm
EsquireFlyer
Formerly known as CollegeFlyer

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA PLT, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5*
Price hike!

It looks like the price of CLEAR just jumped to $199 today!

I was looking at my CLEAR account just yesterday afternoon, thinking about renewing at that $128 price, and got as far as entering my credit card information. CLEAR had said that prices "would rise" in the fall, but not when or by how much, and there had been no further news for a few months. So I decided to just wait to renew when my membership expires in November.

Lo and behold, today the price suddenly jumped to $199 for new members, with old members getting a "discounted" renewal price of $159 per year.

There are now bigger discounts for buying a bunch of years at once--for example, 40% off if you buy 10 years--but who knows if CLEAR, or for that matter, TSA, will still be around in 10 years?

Oh well, now that the price hike has kicked in, I guess I really will wait until exactly 45 days after my membership lapses to renew it. I'm not flying through any CLEAR airports in those intervening 45 days anyway. But--I wonder if CLEAR will just add a year to my membership starting from the expiration date, not the renewal date, if the renewal date comes later? In effect, that would "charge" me for the 45 days I didn't renew and didn't use CLEAR, but theoretically "could have" used CLEAR.

Anyone have experience on how the 2nd year is added on if you renew after expiration?