FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - News: Dragonair removed blind passenger for sitting in aisle seat
Old Oct 12, 2008, 3:04 pm
LHR/MEL/Europe FF
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
Originally Posted by LapLap
The Dragonair policy differs from this a great deal. Although there is no proof that a blind person will have greater difficulty locating the same open exit everyone else is heading for, an arbitrary decision has been made that effectively gives at least two random passengers 'a greater right to life' than that of any passenger with a disability.

I very much object to my own needs and safety requirements being given priority over another passenger. I don't believe my right to live is greater than that of anybody else.
Laplap, below is an exerpt from FAR Part 121. While the text is specifically in relation to who can and can't sit at an exit, the emotive argument about a visually impaired person being 'of less value' is not what anyone remotely believes or supports. There are plenty of things, as shown by this list, that a visually impaired person in the same position as Mr Rabby cannot do in an emergency evacuation. They will need to rely on the assistance of visually able passengers.

There is no 'proof' that a visually impaired person will have greater difficulty in locating an exit, what happens when they actually get there? They jump out of the aisle seat and happen to get to an exit first... how many of the following can a visually impaired person do? (I have underlined the ones that might cause difficulty)
(d) Each certificate holder shall include on passenger information cards, presented in the language in which briefings and oral commands are given by the crew, at each exit seat affected by this section, information that, in the event of an emergency in which a crewmember is not available to assist, a passenger occupying an exit seat may use if called upon to perform the following functions:
(1) Locate the emergency exit;
(2) Recognize the emergency exit opening mechanism;
(3) Comprehend the instructions for operating the emergency exit;
(4) Operate the emergency exit;
(5) Assess whether opening the emergency exit will increase the hazards to which passengers may be exposed;
(6) Follow oral directions and hand signals given by a crewmember;
(7) Stow or secure the emergency exit door so that it will not impede use of the exit;
(8) Assess the condition of an escape slide, activate the slide, and stabilize the slide after deployment to assist others in getting off the slide;
(9) Pass expeditiously through the emergency exit; and
(10) Assess, select, and follow a safe path away from the emergency exit.
Is it not actually safer for the person needing assistance to be in a position where that assistance can be offered? Should they not follow the viually able person sitting in the aisle?

As for the 'right' of a person to swap seats, I think most airlines require you to remain in you ticketed seat until after the departure of the aircraft.

You also state that the Dragonair policy gives the visually impaired person a lesser right than two others? On A330 aircraft this doesn't apply as it is 2+4+2 seating. So there is only one person between the window and the aisle. And the person sitting in the aisle would be asked by the cabin crew to assist the visually impaired passenger in the event of an emergency.

Regards

lme ff