FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Regional C *A RTW & (hopefully) finishing flying every route (100+) for an airline
Old Oct 11, 2008, 2:21 pm
Kiwi Flyer
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Apologies for the interruption and not completing the posts about the new hard products in one go.

While not as private as the suites on Emirates or Singapore Airlines (railway carriage suites some call them), there is a suprising amount of privacy while seated or laying down. It is suprising because overall the cabin is of airiness. No overhead bins in the middle (which incidentally means those in middle F seats are likely to have inconvenience when the flight is full - can't put all carry on luggage for the F and K seated passengers in the bins accessible from their shared aisle ). Wide aisles. Each seat has a reasonable amount of space within the high walls. But, it is not easy for couples or families to see each other, except when sitting on each others' ottoman.

The window shades are electric operated. There are buttons at the bottom, or you can use the master controller. They have an inner layer which reduces glare (a little) but allows most of the light to filter through, and an outer layer which provides shade. Touch once to start the blinds moving (up or down) and once more to stop (if you want them to stop half way). From both blinds up, the inner blind comes down first followed automatically by the outer blind, and in reverse order for bringing them up.

The seat faces forward for take-off and landing. There is limited legroom but with plenty of knee room in this position. Other than take-off and landing, there does not seem much point in the forward-facing position. All the other features of the seat are best used when the seat is swivelled. I wonder why they could establish a brace position for seating at an angle to the front (as with BA, NZ, VS, CX, AC, etc) and just leave the seat in the swivelled position?

The seat belt is a 3-point one with retractable shoulder belt hidden into the back of the seat. The clasp has a button to release instead of a latch. Based on the safety video I expect all classes have a button instead of a latch, although of course the other classes have only a lap belt.

In forward facing position there is a small tray table in front suitable for putting drinks on, or a book. It is not big enough for the main meal. There is also a small pocket with the safety card, Wine Guide, Australian Way magazine and room for some small personal items.

There are a few directional airvents around the seat, and also several lighting options from small spotlight, wall light and overhead lights.

There are plenty of places to put little things, but only 1 spot to put a laptop bag or similar - under the ottoman. There are two swivel triangular drawers under the small shelf at far right. A couple of cubbies up against the seat when swiveled. The lower one of these is partially blocked when in bed mode, but as a secure place to put things while sleeping it is inferior to BA first and business, or NZ business, for example.

The main table is inbetween the cubbies and the shelf and well positioned for eating alone or with someone else at the ottoman. The table however is not as large as NZ or CX business class, so it will be cosy for two.

There is a recessed drink/glass holder in the shelf, and also behind the head when in bed mode. Good for putting a water bottle in, but watch out if resting a glass on the shelf!

There is a pop-out coat hook to hang your jacket when you first arrive while waiting to hand it to an attendant, or on landing after being handed it back. There is also a hook on the seat wall to hang the headphones so you don't need to stuff them into a cubby or have them loose on the tray table or shelf.

In swivel mode there is decent legroom regardless of how far reclined the seat is. In bed mode the length is reasonable, the bed is flat (arm rests drop to lie fairly flush) and reasonably comfortable. I didn't try it with the mattress and blanket though. The flight was just too short.

The master controller is wall mounted, and can also be lifted out of its socket. It reminds me of the one Emirates has in first class on A345 aircraft. The controller operates IFE, seat positions, blinds, lights, privacy screen, etc. It is touch screen, but also has buttons for preset seat positions, overhead lights and a crew call button. There are 7 different directions the seat can be adjusted (including massage functions), and 5 preset seating positions.

As mentioned above, I got a flash error on mine halfway through the flight

Although I didn't need to go, in the interests of research I also popped into the first class toilet. It was okay but not markedly different from the current first class toilets on Qantas 747 aircraft, perhaps a little narrower? There is a window. I forgot to check for sure, but I assume there is some way to close it otherwise some people may be in for a suprise changing before takeoff The rubbish bin opening is too small I think - on long flights I'd expect the area might get a bit grimy from people missing the entrance. The handwash pump is angled directly towards where you stand and unable to rotate. I don't like this as it is too easy to end up with liquid soap on your clothes.

I'll post a bit about the other classes, but not in as much detail since I had extremely limited time to observe.