FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - TR: New York to Boston, Amtrak Acela, First Class
Old Oct 10, 2008, 9:16 am
jackal
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by rittenhousesq
Someone over in the Amtrak forum could provide more information on why the Acela can't do this trip in less time, but I know part of the reason is that Amtrak does not own all the track it uses between these two cities (part of the time they are on Metro North property) and must travel at slower speeds. They have increased the number of miles of track that allow them to travel at top speeds, but further investments in such infrastructure take a lot of money that just isn't available.
Marais pretty much answered your question. Metro North isn't terribly motivated to spend the money required to upgrade the infrastructure to Acela's full capabilities, since its trains can't really use those improvements. In fact, their current track could probably handle higher speeds than the (IIRC) 75mph (or maybe it's 90mph) they limit the trains to, but, as someone around here put it once, MN doesn't want Acelas whizzing by the comparatively slow MN commuter trains filled with rich Connecticut businessmen... (The real reason probably has more to do with fitting the faster trains into available slots without making the MN trains wait any longer than they already do--MN obviously wants their trains to have priority.)

Originally Posted by marais
This is why Acela from NYP to BBY has sub-optimal speed in the metro NYC area and through western CT...slightly better on the coastal route through western CT...much faster in RI and MA, where the Amtrak track improvements show most radically. At least in southeast MA Acela is able to reach its top speed of 140MPH.

I will always remember hitting 140MPH on Acela one time during a snow shower...the sensation of speed was outstanding. BTW for a + member I've found complementary UGs to First on Acela very easy to get with the coupons.
One slight correction: Acela Express's highest speed is actually 150mph. I think, too, a fairly recent development has been the extension of the 150mph-capable track through RI and even a short bit into CT (east of MN's territory). I last rode Acela when it was just the short segment in MA and dipping into northern RI as you described, though, so I can't confirm firsthand.