FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Domestic Companion Ticket Program Cancelled as of 11/15/08
Old Oct 9, 2008, 5:10 am
scubadu

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by ZbadhabitZ
I can't be the only one who thinks this card is still valuable?
Determining "value" is always a very personal decision. At the end of the day, it's irrelevant what those of us on this board think relative to your decision. The real question is do YOU find value in the card at the $450 annual fee level without this benefit.

For me, I do not. Without a doubt this benefit was the one that allowed me to swallow hard and pay a $450 annual fee for a credit card (which violates about every economic principle I hold dear!) on the assumption that at least using this once or twice per year might allow me to feel like I'm at least about net even on the price to value ratio.

As sbm12 nicely spelled out, the other benefits to me are pretty much fluff (i.e. baggage insurance, purchase protection, FHR, etc.) The question one should consider is if you could purchase all of various benefits in an ala carte fashion and the price was $450 or less, would you? The answer for me is likely no.

The second most valuable benefit to me is the airport club access and I do enjoy that. However, 99.9% of my flying is on AA and never before was I willing to pay the annual fee for Admiral's Club access. So, I have to question whether the platinum card in essence just becomes an airport club card and whether that makes sense for me.

Regards