FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Staying near the Civic Center
View Single Post
Old Oct 8, 2008, 11:31 pm
TrueBlueFlyer

Programs: Credit Cards
well as an infrequent traveler I've managed to collect enough points with my choice visa to redeem for a free night (did I mention this is an ultra budget trip?) so I was looking at one of two Rodeway Inn's near Civic Center.

similarly I'll be picking up a rental from an Enterprise just a few blocks away from the hotel and will basically use the rental to drive up to Willows, Ca for a day, I'll have it parked at the hotel lot overnight and return it in the morning as I won't make the 6pm deadline before the place closes.

speaking of the Enterprise, I've never picked up cars from a Neighborhood location, and after checking the MSN Live Bird's Eye views I fail to see a parking lot at the buildings for which the address comes up.... there's no obvious parking garage either so I'm a bit worried what kind of vehicle I'll be stuck with.... although at $17 a day (for a pick up truck) I can't really go wrong as everything else is nearly double that even for an econobox. Plus a "pick-up" rental might be less conspicuous and a little more redneck to get vandalized (as a shiny new sedan rental car would... but what do I know?)

I have contemplated booking one of the higher star ranking hotels, with bargain rates on Kayak... but i'm turned off by both the reviews of them and the idea of "european style" rooms with shared bath, etc. I'd rather have my own shower at rodeway.... although if that place has a reputation for bed bugs I'd rather spend the money and stay at a more reputable place so I don't "bring" anything home...

I was going to try Priceline for a possible Marriott or a Hilton booking, but I'm afraid the star ratings are deceiving and I'll end up at one of the Kayak places I mentioned above.

Oh the joys of planing a budget trip!

--Russ