FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Moving, how to I help our dog adjust?
View Single Post
Old Oct 7, 2008, 6:20 pm
kipper
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by wharvey
You could let Cobaka carry the check to the closing table... that way she feels like a part owner....
It will be a year on Sunday since we adopted her, and when I started discussing presents for her birthday, Mr. Kipper said, "She doesn't need any other presents! She's getting a house for her birthday!"
Originally Posted by Catman
A client asked me to look for some information on how to help her Cats adjust to a move so I found this article which may help Kipper's Dog from About.com:

http://moving.about.com/od/movingwit...oving_dogs.htm

Good luck with hte move and let us know how the cross country trip went. Maybe a trip report?
It's not cross country, just about 11 miles away. I've been trying to explain to her that the packing is because we're moving, but she's coming with us, and will have more of a yard, and a neighbor dog who is actually friendly as a playmate.
Originally Posted by MorganB
My dog didnt mind the packing as long as her bed, bowl etc remained the same. However she didnt like to see the items leaving my apartment. Maybe you could get someone to take care of the dog away from the house as the movers come.

I moved across the atlantic with my dog and she had no problem adjusting to a new yard with new places to go to the bathroom. I did give her more time to get things done at first because she was interested in finding just the right spot.

As far as the new place is concerned, again offer the familiar dog bed and bowls immediately so they feel like home. Let your dog explore the house. Dont make them go all over the house if they dont want to. They will show you their comfort level.
I figured we'd leave all of the interior doors open for her for a few days so she can explore. Thanks for the tip about familiar objects! She's crate trained, so we'll set-up her crate immediately, so she can have that for the familiarity.