FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Just to confirm, will United check luggage through to different reservation/airline?
Old Oct 6, 2008, 11:49 am
notquiteaff
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by DHAST
My guess is that some policies change like the wind, and having to recode a CRS to enforce them every time they change is just asking for trouble.
More trouble than asking X thousand employees to be aware of changing policies and actually follow them?

I obviously have never seen or worked on the system that UA is using to check luggage/print boarding passes, and I assume it's horrid 1960's technology. Still, changing it to not allow a bag to be checked to anywhere *not* on the itinerary the passenger is checking in for doesn't seem like rocket science.

When I worked on the ramp at UAX, I never could keep up with the pets policy. It seemed to always be "no pets", "no pets during the summer", "only for military" or whatever. I could never keep it straight.
There you go. When you want rules to be followed, you enforce them with your system, not by sending memos to people. Of course, it involves a bit of investment into your IT system, but it would seem worth it for a company that's planning to be in business for a while. Oh wait... never mind.