FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Putting on hold an awards reservation?
View Single Post
Old Oct 5, 2008, 8:08 pm
Captain Flush

Originally Posted by CPRich
No, miles aren't deducted until you actually ticket, up to 3 days later. When I was searching for flights I put 4 different sets of UA tix on hold, with confirmation numbers. Only one was charged to my account, 2 days later when I ticketed it.
Interesting. I made an award reservation recently to hold without ticketing and was explicitly told that the miles would be deducted then and there; of course, I could have had an uninformed phone agent. It's been known to happen. And I don't recall checking my account balance during the 3 days I had the itinerary on hold to verify.

Originally Posted by Mrp Alert
US does not require that the miles be in your account when you put a reservation on hold. US also does not require that the miles come from the account that put the reservation on hold.
Really? Then that's a complete reversal of this policy:

"The required number of miles for award travel must be posted to your account prior to requesting an award reservation."

From the Dividend Miles membership guide, available here: http://www.usairways.com/awa/content...mberguide.aspx. I'd be interested in knowing what your source was, since the policy you described would seem to create nothing but headaches for people who do have enough mileage to ticket award reservations right away.