FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Regional C *A RTW & (hopefully) finishing flying every route (100+) for an airline
Old Oct 5, 2008, 12:22 pm
Kiwi Flyer
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
AUCKLAND to OKIWI (AKL-NZOX) on Fly My Sky Britten Norman Islander in couch class
Okiwi is so small it does not have a 3-letter IATA code, so I've used the 4-letter ICAO code instead

I'm not one to stay grounded for long so I decided to book a wee trip that should have some stunning views, and nicely contrast against the upcoming A380 flight.

map

I had a choice of two airlines for the trip, Great Barrier Airlines and Fly My Sky. Fly My Sky used to be called Great Barrier XPress but was forced to rename. (Apparently there was no love lost between the airlines - google brings some bizarre tales!) I chose Fly My Sky for being the underdog.

I also had a choice of destinations, Okiwi or Claris. Okiwi airfield is sometimes closed due to weather conditions, and so locals on Great Barrier Island tend to book to/from Claris since that is more of an all weather airfield. So I figured I'd select Okiwi to ensure I'd get to visit both airfields, weather permitting of course.

On the day, the weather was not ideal and with an approaching front I was unsure if we'd even be flying today. The air was warm-sticky with moisture, not yet summer heat but damp with rain not too far away. The wind was blustery from the northwest - cross winds for much of the trip.

I had a little time before departure so I went into the Qantas Club for a quick coffee. I noticed they'd finally repaired one of the computers that had been out of order for the past few months.