FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Ask a United Reservation Agent - Q & A thread
Old Sep 26, 2008, 2:37 pm
glex50

Programs: UA 1K
On star awards...

First of all, I just want to say how grateful I am for the help I got from an agent on a call to the 1K desk this morning. I came out of it really feeling that she had a grasp of the problem, and was going to bat for me. I plan to write in to customer service to communicate just how valuable an agent like that can be when problems come up. On that note...

I just have a question related to my ongoing saga with a Star award where SA is being a huge pain...

Generally speaking, in the event of a schedule change or flight cancellation on an interline ticket where the airline making the change is different from the issuing airline, whose obligation is it to accommodate the passenger?

I've had a couple of experiences with this, and it seems coming out of it that LH is generally cooperative about fixing the problem, but other airlines (SA and gosh knows who else) take the position that all protection is the responsibility of the issuing carrier. This seems a bit unreasonable in the event of a flight cancellation, and even more in the event cancellation of an entire route.

Nonetheless, route cancellations do happen, so how does this normally shake out?