FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Will UA restore the 500 mile minimums for elites?
Old Sep 22, 2008, 9:59 pm
John26

Programs: The opinions expressed here are mine alone and do not necessarily reflect the airlines I worked for.
Originally Posted by tkc98110
I hope they do, since I'm sure not flying SEA-PDX, or PDX-EUG, on UAX anymore unless they revert. The minimum 500 AS miles, more frequent flights on QX, not to mention the free wine/beer, all are working against my UA loyalty here....
Ditto that...

It may not make much sense from and RDM and EQM earning perspective, but I am purchasing my short haul travel solely on price and schedule now and crediting the AA/NW/DL/AS flights to AS Mileage Plan (or in the case of VX, to eleVAte). Sure, I don't earn 1,352 miles (338 x 4) for a SFO-LAX roundtrip (instead I earn 1000 on AA), but the measly mileage difference hardly makes up for the $50+ fare difference. It's funny - before I wouldn't even look at AA or AS for these routes because the EQMs would help me requalify for elite status.

Again, it may not make sense to all FlyerTalkers. But the elimination of 500 mile minimums and plated meals in domestic Business class demonstrates the utter disdain United has for its elites and premium cabin travellers.

And here I thought loyalty programs were supposed to drive...loyalty. Silly me

(btw I don't hold a grudge on this issue - I would be happy to give the short haul business back to UA if it comes to its senses)