FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Sheraton Society Hill, Philadelphia [Master Thread]
Old Sep 19, 2008, 10:53 pm
Hanlgt

Programs: US Air, AA, starwood gold, hilton gold, priority club
Review of Society Hill Sheraton

I stayed here twice within the last three weeks and enjoyed the hotel and the area. From the airport, if you go to the transportation desk by the baggage claim and ask for the Liberty Shuttle, they pick you up right there and take you to the hotel for a flat $10 rate. It took about 4 minutes for them to arrive and we picked up some other people at other baggage claims, but the Society Hill hotel is the first stop when going into the city. If you have more than one person, consider the cost, because a cab from the airport is a flat $28.00.

The hotel is in a wonderful area for people visiting the city who enjoy the historical parts and even the trendy South Street or the dock at the river, which are all right there. This would be a good choice for families. The lobby was quite nice and check in was easy. I thought the cash and points rate was a steal. The room was spacious and had a flat screen tv and an updated bathroom with a nice tub. There was a wedding going on one of the nights I was there and I didn't hear a thing.

The breakfast is rather pricey (I asked for an upgrade to the club room, and since I am a lowly Gold, they said I could get it, but they would charge me $40 a night and although I had never heard of that before, I declined as I couldn't imagine it being worth $40. I thought the room I had was ok, and I went out to get a bagel for breakfast and spent $5.00.)

There are quite a number of places to eat around there, including the old Bookbinder's restaurant (Last time I ate there was 1980, I think) and the pub/restaurant--forgot the name--where Franklin, Washington, et. al, used to hang out and they offer the same menu as in revolutionary times, and the whole place is pretty historically interesting. I would think kids would get a kick out of it. There are also a number of upscale and ethnic places, and, a couple blocks away is the Snow White Diner--a hole in the wall, cheap cheap place for breakfast/lunch that is totally worth going to for budget minded folk.

If you need to get back to the airport, reserve the shuttle the day before--it comes twice an hour, but only if you pre-reserve, and it is still $10 to get to the airport. Plus, the hotel is the last stop, so you don't have to pick up others. I liked this hotel and enjoyed walking around the area--even went to a movie because there is a cineplex across the street. The area seems very safe and is quaint-looking, with cobblestones and brick, etc.
Cash and Points would be the way to go with this hotel.