FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - So, I won a trip to Australia on United...
Old Sep 19, 2008, 12:11 pm
yyzprincess

Programs: UA1K2MM ACMME50 SQPPS HHDiamond Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by Monolith2
Ok, I know it's kinda corny, but I have to name each of you guys... tegwj, Ripper3785, bdeardorff, UnitedSkies, SWB, MarcWPhoto, flyerbjorn, Dan6681, and everyone else I embarrassingly missed, thanks for all the help, advice and info!

I'm gonna try to plan out exactly what I want to do most when I'm "down under" and see if I can squeeze in that Economy Plus Annual deal. If not, though, you guys had a ton of great tips on ways to make the flight in E- a little more manageable and even some ideas on how I might be able to snag a better seat at the airport.

Now I just have to think of a really awesome souvenir to get you all...

Cheers, mates!!
Monolith2, Congrats on winning. Go for it. I hope you get to Melbourne.
Virginblue has same fares for under $100.00. Sometimes QF is lower.
Between 9:00Pm-10:00PM Virginblue has a happy hour. With flights from SYD-MEL for $49.00. Similiarly to Brisbane.
www.virginblue.vom.au
If you cannot grab one of those. Countrylink has a train I think it is twice a day, when my son was a student living in Sydney he use to take it to visit his friends & my Melbourne office when he ran out of money If you book 3 days in advance, I think it was half price something like 40.00AUD.
That was 2 years ago
About seating on UA LAX-SYD/MEL in Y.
My company places personnel in Australia and typically,we have 2 or 3 travelling weekly on United to MEL/SYD . Having too much of UA lemonade,my TA has a standing order only to book UA for our personnel
Some tips:
1. Do not take Exit Row Window. No leg room, worst than any E- seat !!!!
2. 80% of the time not on peak travel times Christmas, Australian School Holidays, Australian Summer JAN/FEB, Row 46 Middle seat is available.
You are not travelling during Peak period.Victoria school holidays are almost over.
46 middle Exit row in E- section, personnel reporting back rave about it. According to them it is the best seat in Y. near the galley and once the meal service is over no noise no crowd. no gathering unlike the Exit Row in E+ section which is near the lavatories.
The chances of these seats ( there are 2 of these seats one on each side of the galley) being available for your travel date are good. Why, middle seat on UA are blocked for GS &1K & I think for PE. Typically if a 1K is waiting for UG, they have 46 Aisle. so the 46 middle stays blocked.
Like majority of my personnel you will be checkin from the east coast,First flight check-in ask for 46B or 46 the other middle seat, most likely you will get it. DO NOT TAKE WINDOW!!!!!
If you need info for some reasonable price accommodation ,especially in Melbourne PM me. Sometimes we have to put up our personnel in temporary accommodations until their apartments are ready.