FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Regional C *A RTW & (hopefully) finishing flying every route (100+) for an airline
Old Sep 17, 2008, 7:40 pm
Kiwi Flyer
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Transit in Christchurch (CHC)

With a late night arrival and early morning departure I was unsure what to do. I could book a nearby hotel and get a maximum of 2 hours sleep, likely less, (+ risk missing my flight by sleeping through alarm), or stay in the airport for the few hours it shuts down. I opted to stay at the airport.

As I'd arrived on the last flight of the night, all the best positions for resting had already been taken by the couple of dozen fellow travellers who were spending the night here. The domestic terminal and international terminal check in areas were both locked, which is a shame as the only truly comfortable seats in the building are by international check in. International arrivals area is kept unlocked through the night, with lights kept on and about every 30 minutes an announcement to keep an eye on our bags as this is a security conscious airport.

A tv showed some football with the volume fairly low. I noticed there was a lack of power points for using laptops or other devices - with just a few jealously guarded by those lucky enough to have nabbed them.

I didn't sleep but took the opportunity to catch up on some reading, pick up some bus timetables for the upcoming do, and go for a walk in the chilly night. The other landside parts of the building were opened up around 4am, but the domestic security didn't open until 4:30am and the Koru Club until 4:50am.

This was my third different airport that I've spent the night (or rather a few hours) at in recent weeks. It ranks last in my view, for having no real amenities and being the most difficult of the 3 to sleep in (if that is what you want).