FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Will Southwest win the fee vs. no fee war?
Old Sep 16, 2008, 4:24 pm
SW High

Programs: wn-cp,
It's funny that I was about to start a thread today about this, motivated by two discussions with people who told me they purchased tickets, one on AA and one on UA because WN was more expensive. They each told me that the fares for one was $80 more & $95 for the other round trip. One has a family of four and the other, five. Each emphasized the total savings of about $400. Both are fairly intelligent yet could not grasp the add on costs for luggage which alone will cost each almost double the savings.

If this is representative of the general population, WN will lose on this as was indicated today in the Wall Street Journal "Middle Seat" column that they are not benefiting. It should be remembered that advertising is aimed at the 6 year old. That large, extra revenue that they are passing on for luggage is considerable and could be big to the bottom line.

Southwest can still continue the other freebies that don't cost as much and are more visible such as snacks and drinks which would differentiate them from the others. But don't pass on the suggested billion dollars for bags.

Last edited by SW High; Sep 16, 2008 at 4:33 pm