FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Hurricane Ike CO/IAH Ops Doom and Gloom Thread
Old Sep 14, 2008, 1:59 pm
sbm12
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Scott6067
While origination and destination passengers are important I would suspect that IAH is more about the connections and not having the planes moving within the system is a problem. By opening IAH it allows for the regular flow of planes and people around the CO system.
Yes and no. Right now CO seems to have "fixed" most of that so that planes that would normally be passing through IAH are not, for the most part. Some examples I can think of are ATL, ORD, MCO and TPA (though apparently one ORD flight today was canceled because of IAH). But the other cities seem to be doing OK without the need to cycle planes through. Sure, capacity is reduced, but the planes that should be flying mostly are.

For whatever reason I hadn't realized until about an hour ago that I might actually end up affected by this. I've got a MR planned for Tuesday/Wednesday, with the Tuesday flight on CO PHL-IAH-HNL. If I wasn't connecting on to a UA flight once I got to HNL I'd call CO and trade my seats for a later date since mine is completely discretionary. As it stands, however, I'd lose my UA ticket, too, and that wouldn't be so good for me.