FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Listening to Channel 9 on September 11, 2001
Old Sep 11, 2008, 1:00 pm
aluminumdriver

Very good story. I think everyone will remember what they were doing that day. I was flying a trip during all this. I still remember the chilling ACARS message we got to defend the cockpit at all costs to included deadly force. I remember flyign with the crash axe in my hand, with the jump seat up and locked at the cockpit door. I remember moving the marines we had onboard up to FC and the FC folks back to the back to defend the cockpit. I remember how confused ATC was, and how they and the company lost track of where we were when they had us land in a little field in the USA. Yep, it was a stressful day for us up front flying a potential guided missle not knowing what in the heck was going on.

I think the two memories I most remember though, is first hearing ATC coming over GUARD frequency declaring that the US had implemented SCANTANA which is reserved for war, shutting down all navaids and ATC. I had learned about this in my military career and never really thought about it. Very chilling. Second big memory, how the crew and passengers and the town we were in all pulled together and worked to make all the lives disrupted better. We didn't buy a meal or drink while we were there thanks to the town, and the passengers and crew got together for meals and stuff during the day. It was one of the worst days of my life, but also 4 days filled with some of my greatest memories, as weird as that is.

Always remember those who lost their lives so that we may hopefully avoid the same situation in the future.

Good thread.

AD

Last edited by aluminumdriver; Sep 11, 2008 at 1:45 pm