FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Which airline has best overall rating for cashing in points for a ticket?
Old Jun 16, 2003, 4:18 pm
pinniped
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
My personal experience:

US - 90% domestic, 30% int'l. All US award travel for me is premium cabin because I no longer hold an elite status. I have found entire months booked up to Europe - even in October 2002, I could not get any award seat in Envoy to Europe with 5 months' advance notice.

AA - Near 100% domestic, 75% int'l. Sometimes have to tweak my routing for domestic, but not dates. Sometimes have to move my int'l dates by 1-2 days, but can usually make it work. I always book Y domestically, and a mix of classes int'l.

UA - 75% domestic, Near 100% int'l. I've been very lucky with UA to Europe, always booking in business class. I usually get my date on the first try, or I move my itin by one day, waitlist for my date, and eventually get it. Only domestic problem with UA has been Hawaii. They seem to be very tight with awards, even with a lot of advance notice and even outside of the busiest months. Still, with some work, I got E+ award seats to Lihue a few weeks ago.