FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Total n00b needs help with LH -> UA miles
Old Sep 9, 2008, 12:23 am
jkb76

Programs: M&M
Originally Posted by glex50
What you want to use is a Star Upgrade award using your M&M miles. This is possible USA-South America, but if you're doing coach to business, your ticket needs to be in Y or B fare classes (these are typically very expensive).

Here's a link on M&M's website describing how to do it:
http://www.miles-and-more.com/online...nodeid=1209676

The other possibility on UA is an upsell on the day of travel, where you pay $500-$700 per person each way for an upgrade.
thanks, i saw that chart while trying to research the subject.

since on the day of travel business class might be booked, it sounds like the best thing to do is "The best way to book your upgrade is online, but you can also contact our Miles & More Service Team for a reservation. The re-booking goes through right away and the corresponding miles will be debited to your account."

how expensive is Y/B economy fare? it would still be cheaper than business class, right? where is a good place to get deals on Y/B class economy tix?

could there be a catch-22 of sort if i end up getting Y/B economy fare but they wont upgrade me when i call them? IOW: could business class get filled up between the time i get United economy tickets and call to get an upgrade to business?