FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Dynamic currency exchange
View Single Post
Old Sep 6, 2008, 10:12 pm
Mountain Trader

Originally Posted by ajnaro
Here's a good example of so-called dynamic currency exchange. When I checked out of the Sheraton on the Park in Sydney I was presented with a bill for incidentals stated in Australian dollars, but the credit card slip came in US dollars for $244.11. It had written on it in huge bold-faced letters 'no commission'. I refused to sign the charge in US dollars and requested the charge in the original amount in Australian dollars. The charge showed up on my CapitalOne VISA converted to $233.13, a difference of $10.98, or 4.7%. It is true, of course, that on a typical US credit card with a forex fee of 3% the charge might have been as high as around $240, but this so-called no commission currency conversion is even more expensive. The lesson seems to be that conversion to US dollars abroad should also be refused.
Good work! This is exactly what to do when faced with this rip-off: Refuse to sign a chit in dollars and demand local currency. If it takes a lot of time or makes the merchant nuts, all the better to learn that this is a bad idea from their standpoint too.