FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - My first intro to a "Chairman"
View Single Post
Old Sep 3, 2008, 3:50 am
ezmonee

There is more beyond what the public sees that goes on with CHM.

nationally, CHM's rentals are tracked and verified that everything went well at pickup. Mgrs are required to email (at one time it was call) into the CHM desk the result of the encounter and note any abnormalities. When a CHM complains to the desk, they want to know what it could be about before they call, so if there are notes that said 'cust made an issue that the maps were incorrect" or "wanted different car" or "made comment that the car wasn't clean".

At my location, we got emails when the reservationw as booked, and a confirming call to the manager on duty. The day before, mgrs would start scouting for the perfect car for this customer. Managers who were in charge of the rental return area would look for a prize car, tag it for special cleaning. The crews would dress the tires, seriously detail it, clean the windows and ask for a managers inspection. Once the car was inspected and passed, it was parked in a specific spot, locked, and the keys went into the managers key locker. A note was placed on the inside of window with the time and name of the CHM. Sometimes this process would happen the day of, but most of us preferred for it to happen the night before. the morning, on our daily game plan, we put the name, flight number, and type of car reserved for the customer. Every customer facing employee got the game plan which included upgrade pricing, availablity, expected peak times, any special events going on.

Bus drivers, 2 hours out, were given a radio check and update reminder. If any manager knew the incoming chm (often did), a description was given. For example, a prominent beer manufacturer heir and electronics designer were regulars at my airport. I would say "so and so is arriving united flt xxxx. We have a XXX car for him in stall XXXX. Reminder, 6ft, silver hair, often travels with golf clubs. On this trip CHM advises his wife may pick up car if she comes out ahead of him etc etc. Stop til bump protocol for area XXXXX."

Stop til bump protocol meant that an Avis bus would wait at the area until they were absolutely full. If they were, they would still wait until they were "bumped" out of that stall by another avis bus or by airport security.

Luckily, I was the CHM manager for most of my career. I handled em all. I knew what kinds of cars they wanted, what they looked like, their preferences in newspaper, treats, water vs. soda, hotels they usually stayed at. When i emailed my district manager after every CHM, I would keep a copy of it and put it in a folder to reference for next visit. Some of the CHM woud actually call my cell phone to let me know they arrived. I knew which ones preferred bus pickup, which ones wanted curbside (drive the rental to the curb for them and then I would hop the bus back) and which ones always seemed to arrive early because they caught an earlier flight.

Originally Posted by AustinFlyer76
i had only heard rumors these people existed. but last night at BDL, i was on the bus ... we started pulling away from the pick-up and the radio screamed "STOP! we have a chairman who just called and he's on his way"

so we waited for him ... he boarded.

the radio communicated that he had his white Cadillac STS ready outside the Preferred doors and it was already running and his maps had been printed out and there were two bottles of cold water in the car.

The driver even asked him "do you need anything else?"

I sat there with my jaw wide open.

I mumbled to him ... 'what the heck is a Chairman? i've rented an Avis car for 178 out of 182 straight weeks and i've never even been told Hello!"

he just smiled and said it wasn't him ... it was his company.

Regardless ... WOW! that status level just blew my mind. I've never in my life seen Avis jump through a hoop for anyone. In a matter of minutes, they build a new hoop and coated it with diamonds for this guy.