FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Use Starpoints for flights -- SPG Flights
Old Sep 2, 2008, 11:12 am
Bulldog King

Programs: DL, SPG (Gold)
Originally Posted by jrothenb
This is an excellent enhancement
If an airline ticket received via points redemptions through this program is considered by the airline to be the same as a paid ticket.....then I would also agree that this COULD very likely be an extremely positive benefit for some people (i.e. those who hold elite status on an airline and travel primarily within the US).......like myself.

Personal example:

On Delta.....it would cost me a minimum of 25,000 miles + fuel surcharge and fees for a domestic Saver transcon coach award ticket......and I would be stuck in coach for the flight (unlike NW, Delta doesn't currently offer the possibility of getting upgraded on a domestic award ticket)......or have to redeem 45K miles for a Saver first/business award.............more fees and miles if itinerary includes a segment on a partner airline.

For approx 30K Starpoints....I could get a ticket on the same flight and earn about 10K Skymiles/5K MQMs (useful for elite qualification) and most importantly.....am very likely to get upgraded due to my Platinum Medallion status!

The only trade-off is not being able to take advantage of the free stopover that is offered on Delta award tickets.

As far as getting the best value for my Starpoints......

Given an average redemption rate of 10K Starpoints per night for a Cat4 hotel that usually goes for $200-400 per night............30K would translate into $600-1200 worth of value.

Compare that to very likely getting a first/business class seat on a transcon flight (at least...I've never missed being upgraded on any transcon flights out of JFK on Delta), 10K Skymiles and 5K MQMs......and it's a no-brainer as to which use of Starpoints could be considered more valuable......to me anyway.

Heck....an even better use of points would have been during the recent fare sale to Hawaii.........as 35K Starpoints for a $470 ticket would have gotten me 20K Skymiles and 10K MQMs and likely upgrades on all of the domestic segments (NYC-CA and back)!

If only Starwood had announced this program a month ago.......

My only concern is if we are misunderstanding something about this program that would preclude the airlines from having to offer elite benefits and mileage accrual for these tickets.......as without them (especially mileage accrual and complimentary elite upgrades), I would have to say that using points for hotel stays might be more valuable..........and precisely why I previously said only SOME people would likely benefit the most from this new program.

As with all new programs, I think only time will tell if this new redemption option works as assumed based on the info that has been released so far.

Now....who among us is willing to be the first 'guinea pig' to test it?

A.J.