FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - MVPG free changes - for 2 ?
View Single Post
Old Aug 31, 2008, 1:32 pm
jackal
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by dgwright99
For business travel, I tend to book early and make changes often in order to have the best chabnce of the lowest fare. As an MVPG I have nothing to lose trying for the "bargain" fares, and making changes as my plans change.

I have a couple of trips coming up with family members, and I want to check a couple of things:
  1. If I book an itin with 2 pax, presumably I can change that itin for both of us, with fees waived beacuse one of use (me) is MVPG - right ?
  2. As it's a single itin, presumably there is only one 1k online/CC booking bonus; who'se account does this go to ? Is there any way to affect that ?
  3. Once I have made the rez, if I need to change my flight, but I want to leave my wife's flight unchanged, is there a way to do this ?
  4. Does any of this affect gold UG for the 2nd pax ?
  5. Any other quirks or loopholes I should be aware of as MVPG booking travel for 2 ?
I'm not Gold, but I've traveled on the same PNR as a Gold twice this year, so I'll attempt this.

1. (Answer redacted because Seattlenerd knows more than me...)

2. I'm not sure I can give you a definitive answer on this, but here's my experience: I paid for one of the two trips I took with another person on my card, and I did receive the 1K booking bonus for that trip. I believe I was logged in under my account online; however, I had listed the other person as primary (that person was Gold, and I wanted to make sure we were waitlisted for our upgrades with Gold priority). I do not know if the other person received a 1K booking bonus. (On my other itinerary, it was not bought with an AS Visa, so no 1K booking bonus applied.) So, you can draw whatever conclusions you want from this experience!

3. Both of my trips were on companion fares, and so we had to stay traveling together. I believe but cannot confirm that you should be able to change your wife's flight separately from yours, but I do not know if doing so would cost anything in change fees.

4. Possibly, and probably! (Sorry, I can't give you any more definitive answer than that!)

5. Probably...and I'm sure there will be plenty of replies to this thread that will help you!