FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - MVPG free changes - for 2 ?
View Single Post
Old Aug 31, 2008, 1:28 pm
Seattlenerd

Programs: Alaska Million Mile Flyer, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by dgwright99
For business travel, I tend to book early and make changes often in order to have the best chabnce of the lowest fare. As an MVPG I have nothing to lose trying for the "bargain" fares, and making changes as my plans change.

I have a couple of trips coming up with family members, and I want to check a couple of things:
  1. If I book an itin with 2 pax, presumably I can change that itin for both of us, with fees waived beacuse one of use (me) is MVPG - right ?
  2. As it's a single itin, presumably there is only one 1k online/CC booking bonus; who'se account does this go to ? Is there any way to affect that ?
  3. Once I have made the rez, if I need to change my flight, but I want to leave my wife's flight unchanged, is there a way to do this ?
  4. Does any of this affect gold UG for the 2nd pax ?
  5. Any other quirks or loopholes I should be aware of as MVPG booking travel for 2 ?
1. No. Even though you're on the same PNR, you have separate ticket numbers, and only changes to your ticket are free. The other tickets are subject to change fees unless the ticket holders are also MVP Gold.

The way I deal with this when plans change when traveling with my non-MVPG spouse is to completely cancel both tickets and buy her a new ticket. Then I use the value of her unused ticket for me on a future trip. I also use the value of my unused ticket for me on a future trip.

Since I booked and paid for both tickets, the value of her unused ticket is technically "under my control" and the value can be reused for me without a change fee. But it can't be reused for her the same way. It's not a bad way to deal with changing plans if you plan to do more travel yourself as an MVPG.

2. Surprisingly, the bonus is apparently per ticket, based on my experience, not per itin/PNR. My spouse and I both receive the 1,000 mile bonus in each of our AS Mileage Plan accounts since I enter each of our numbers next to our names when I book online.

3. Customer service reps can split the reservation, giving you a new confirmation code and keeping hers (and her itin) the same.

4. It can. If you and she are on separate confirmation codes in separate PNRs, make sure the customer service rep knows and the CSR can link the two records for MVPG + traveling partner upgrade. But that upgrade only works if you and she are on the same flights, not if she's on a different flight.

5. I'm certain there are, and I'm certain others can help illuminate or clarify the above as well.