FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Question for the BA regulars about the AA/BA pairing
Old Aug 16, 2008, 7:31 am
London Dude

Programs: BA Gold, etc. etc.
Originally Posted by millionmiler
If you think that any of the cities that BA flies to in the US are in the backwaters you haven't been to any US backwaters.

From one perspective I can see your point about the British comment but from another perspective it would seem that some members here would prefer that no AA frequent flyers (or even perhaps any Americans at all) fly on BA planes through integration of the programs. Some have insisted that they would switch to LH if that happened. If BA eventually gets its wish and merges with AA (which is not a certainty) then BA will become the largest airline in the world but moreover it would be become as much or more an "American" airline as it is a "British" one.
You are wrong, this proposed BA/AA/IB tie-up on transatlantic (I hate the term TATL) routes is not a merger. I suggest you get your fact straight before posting. In fact there are a variety of reasons for which BA and AA will never fully merge.

The problem some BA FFs (including myself) have with this proposed venture regards the possibility of AAdvantage members being allowed to redeem miles on J and F BA award seats. Since BA's product is far superior to AA's, AAdvantage members would almost certainly prefer to redeem AAdvantage miles (which BTW are ridiculously easier to accumulate than BA miles) on BA-operated flights. Consequently we are concerned that the already fairly scarce inventory of premium award seats on certain UK-US routes would be gobbled up by AAdvantage tredemptions.

Additionally there is a concern that because of a likely disproportionately higher number of people wanting to fly BA rather than AA-operated flights, I and A class seat availability on BA-op'd flights would be much harder to come by.