FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Kosher eats in Heathrow and London & Jewish tourist suggestions
Old Aug 12, 2008, 10:16 pm
salut0

Programs: BA Gold, AA PLT PRO, AGR, Strawberry (Nordic Choice), Marriott Bonvoy
Originally Posted by craz
(I think Baker is a 1 way going the wrong way, so youd have to go 1 street over grab a bus over there and then walk back to Baker st. Or simply walk up Baker for appx 5-10 mins. If walking from OxfordSt it will be on your left side.
Buses go south down Baker St / Orchard St and north up Gloucester Place / Portman Square.

Or simply take the Nothern Line to golders Green station or Hendon station and there will be more places to eat then you will be able to decide where to actually eat.
Solly's is a good place - excellent fresh baked Iraqi pita. But to be honest with you, London is not a destination for its kosher restaurants if you are used to what's available in NYC (there's nothing to match the panache of Tevere, Le Marais, or even Colbeh or Taam Tov). Although London does have some good places, most don't generally compete with non-kosher restaurants for the custom of people used to the level of service and professionalism at non-kosher restaurants, like many kosher places do in NYC or Israel. (To preempt any possible offence being taken at my comments here, I'd say that kosher restaurants in London can often be good, but with a few exceptions (Bevis Marks above being one) as the Michelin guide might say, they are largely "vaut le detour" as opposed to "vaut le voyage"...)

If you have limited time in London, I wouldn't spend much of it in Golders Green -- although in the walking guide I mentioned above, there are some great walks not too far from Golders Green or Hendon through Highgate/Hampstead/Kenwood. These other places I mention are really interesting and quirky London "villages" which became suburbs, whereas Golders Green and Hendon were mostly purpose-built in the 1920s as developments that followed the extension of the tube (subway) lines. GG and Hendon have some nice enough residential streets to walk down, but they're otherwise quite bland suburbs (think Forest Hills or Riverdale).

What ever you do, DONT stay at LHR unless its pouring rain!
Don't stay there even if it is pouring rain -- take the Heathrow Express into town to maximise your time and spend your day at the British Museum or one of the other free museums instead.

Last edited by salut0; Aug 12, 2008 at 10:41 pm