FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Cincinnati neighborhoods?
View Single Post
Old Aug 8, 2008, 11:40 pm
jlawrence01

I am a Cincinnati native but I have lived in MOST midwestern cities and am in Chicagoland currently.

There are really two decisions that you have to make. The first on is "Ohio vs. Kentucky". The income tax difference is substantial. In Ohio, you have a high state income tax rate. Kentucky has a lower income tax rate.

Second, it benefits you to live in an unincorporated area OR the city that you work in. In addition, many cities assess LOCAL INCOME TAX on residents income and income earned in that CITY. For example, if you work in Norwood and live in Cincinnati, you MAY be paying taxes in both city. In my last assignment in Ohio, I was paying over 11% state and local income taxes. (In IL, the rate is 3% as an example.) One way to lessen this impact is to move into an unincorporated area like Anderson Township. I don't like to focus on taxes but I am a CPA and Ohio taxes were a strong incentive to leave the state again.

I would not be really excited about living within the city of Cincinnati. Many traditional "nice neighborhoods" have deteriorated over the past 20 years. The Cincinnati public schools are a real crapshoot. Certain schools are heavily funded by parents and offer a great educational opportunity for students. However, the next school down the street might be a rehash of the "blackboard" jungle. (And a number of the public schools are architectural wonders.) There are a number of fine parochial and private schools in the city.

I would strongly recommend that you jump on the freeway and visit the city for a few weekends to see the city and find a neighborhood that you love.