FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Any airlines allow Hawaii interisland openjaw/circle reward trips
Old May 13, 2003, 3:04 am
JenniferNAz

Programs: AA EXP, AS MVP 75k, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold, National Executive Elite
I have a question that is similar, but slightly different. Maybe someone can help though.

I am planning a trip to Hawaii this summer (actually the 3rd annual Hawaii trip!), and will be using an award ticket on America West. I will be traveling from PHX, going through SEA (picking up someone else), and traveling to our final destination of LIH. The past 2 years we have flown on NW (with HP miles), and have had to purchase separate tickets on Aloha for the HNL-LIH-HNL portion of the trip. This made sense, as NW doesn't fly to LIH.

This year, however, we will be flying Hawaiian (once again HP miles). I was told I can only go as far as HNL with my miles, and if I want to get to my final destination of LIH, I will have to use more miles.

My question: Is this common on most airlines?

I can understand having to use extra miles or pay for hops between the islands to visit more islands, etc., but that is not what I am trying to do here. We simply want to fly to LIH. I would love it if I didn't have to go through HNL, but I don't think that is an option.

When I asked the agent booking the travel, she told me I should be happy there are more flights now.

Funny thing, with all those new flights, I had a much more difficult time booking this year than either of the last two years - go figure.