FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - ARCHIVE: Airport Upgrade and Standby Priority List (“PALL”) Order (master thread)
Old Aug 5, 2008, 3:06 pm
CloudCoder

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
Some folks seem awfully quick to point out that I post inaccuracies. Which fact below do you feel is inaccurate?
  1. I was booked on AA 395 DFW-SAN, 1 Aug departing 12:30 pm.
  2. Flight was delayed. I asked GA why. She said mechanical problem. A light bulb on the wing did not work so they replaced the bulb but it still did not work. They were still looking at it.
  3. Mechanic informed GA the plane had to be taken out of service. GA made announcement that the flight was cancelled.
  4. I went to nearby Terminal A AC and told 'em 395 was cancelled. I asked if they could confirm me on a later flight, even if it's a connection. They could not confirm anything, but put me on standby for flight 1701 leaving at 1:45 pm. They said I was #3 on the list.
  5. As it was already time to board that flight, I went to the gate. There I saw I was #24 on the list.
  6. I simply could not believe that an EXP was #24 on the list, and I reasoned that the display must be wrong.
  7. While waiting for the 15-minute mark to arrive, I talked with a handful (6 to 8) of other pax who were on the same cancelled flight. We compared BPs and I could clearly see that most had no status although one lady I talked to was GLD.
  8. Figuring the display must be wrong (i.e. that I really was high up on the list), I waited until the GA called standbys. She called them in approximately the same order as the display. She called the man at #2 whose wife was at #6. I had not visited with the man but I did talk with the wife who had no status. The GA cleared the wife immediately after clearing the husband (but the wife would have probably cleared anyway). In total 7 people cleared the flight, including some non-status I had talked with on the sidelines, as well as the GLD lady.
  9. After the flight closed, I went to the gate for flight #1429 leaving at 2:20 pm. They announced the aircraft had been changed from a 757 to a 767, so all pax must check in again to get a new seat assignment. Standbys were to remain seated in the departure lounge. A huge long queue formed to see the Gate Agent. The standby list did not ever display at this gate. I went to the Terminal D AC to find out how it looked for standby.
  10. At the D AC the AAngel said that she doesn't know why I was #24 on the previous list; I should have been #1. She typed on her computer and told me I was now #1 for the flight leaving at 2:20 pm. She also confirmed me on the flight after that, leaving at 4 pm. I asked to be put on the airport upgrade list for that 4 pm flight.
  11. I waited at the gate for the 2:20 pm flight (which ended up leaving about an hour late) until the flight closed. At this gate, the standby list did not display on the screen behind the GAs, so I have no idea whether I was really #1 on the list.
  12. I then went to the gate for the 4 pm flight #1317, on which I was already confirmed in coach. My upgrade did not clear so I boarded and flew in coach.
  13. Upon returning to DFW on Sunday 3 August I asked a GA friend to look at the flights. For flight #1701 (the 1:45 pm flight where I was listed at #24 on the list) she said she could not see me on the standby list at all. But she did see me as #1 on the list for the 2:20 pm flight #1429 (i.e. the one which left over an hour late because they changed a 757 to a 767 and had to manually reassign every seat).
Which fact(s) do you consider inaccurate? <redacted>

I continue to investigate this matter even until now, and I wrote to AA customer relations. Because the second AC AAngel (in terminal D) did significant typing before telling me I was now #1 on the list, it's possible the first AAngel made an honest mistake in listing me for flight 1701. Because the GA two days later could find no record of my being on standby for #1701, it's possible the D AAngel deleted the mistake and started over. Still, the star file says EXPs will "automatically" be assigned standby priority based on status, so the question remains: how can an EXP end up at #24 on standby behind a bunch of GLDs and non-status passengers who were all on the same cancelled flight?

<redacted>

Originally Posted by jrhone
We are not going to fall out over this , or get in to an argument, but the above statement is just 100% inaccurate.

I'll leave it at that and bow out of the thread at this stage.

Last edited by JDiver; Aug 26, 2008 at 6:42 pm Reason: remove irrelevant details (gate numbers, etc.) / redact re deleted post