FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Is there a consistent incidental hold policy?
Old Jul 31, 2008, 3:34 pm
waltinsocal

Programs: Delta GM, Lifetime Marriott Platinum, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by rahmanbar
Thanks for the prompt reply but what you've stated begs two questions from me (others may have additional ones).

Since the amount is determined (automatically) at the property level via an arithmetical formula and automatically "processed by the hotel's system" it would appear that the amount that would be "put on hold" could be calculated at the time an online reservation is made and included in the rate rules (or as new or in a different category).

Secondly, and this gets to the heart of the issue that's arisen in this thread -- "How long before that "hold" will be released and again become available on the guest's credit card?

After all, if it's reasonable and prudent to process a "hold" (and IMO it certainly is), once checkout is complete shouldn't the hold be released in a timely fashion (in other words before several days have elapsed)?

After all, the hotel would still have a record of the cc number of the card that was used when booking that could be charged in the event of "surprise" late charges..

I hope that Marriott realizes that unnecessarily long holds have severe impact on guests, particularly the ones that Marriott proclaims they regard so highly? (And I think they truly do.)

I think the "hold length" is something that Marriott should analyze so as to establish a uniform ome (including it on confirmations) for all Marriott-flagged properties.

Thank you.
I would like to second what Rahmanbar just posted. I, too, "discovered" a $700 hold at a property last year. ($100 per night for 7 nights). Fortunately, it did not impact my trip, but that is simply not the issue here. I have several friends who would have been severely affected by such a hold, and since that time I have told everyone I know who travels, or who is going to travel, to beware "the hold". It's not just the "hold" itself, it's the fact that we are never, in advance, told the amount of the hold. It simply should be a part of the online reservation process. I resent my money held in such a way. Now I realize that my travel habits may not be the same as many on this board, but I can't remember the last time I billed anything to my room. I know the property wants to protect itself, but $100 a day for incidentals, give me a break. I have not always been popular for the following action I have taken at checkin, but this practice so annoys me here is what I do if I am feeling cranky over this matter. I will simply tell the front desk clerk that I am paying cash, and will pay with cash. Most of the time if I am at a property where I am known, that is the end of it. At other properties when I am asked for my credit card even after paying cash, I politely refuse to give it to the clerk. (for this purpose my credit card on file used to hold the reservation is always kept at an extraordinarily low limit unlike the other cards I have which I refuse to let the property "swipe".) I nicely explain that I never use the room phone for calls (why would I with my cell phone here in the US or with Skype overseas?) I also tell them that I am not the least bit interested in in-room movies for purchase. I then offer a token amount, say $100 cash as a deposit if they feel it is necessary, and at ckeckout I will retrieve my cash deposit. Most of the time my offer is declined and that is the end of it. Only once, the other day, did I have to call the Platinum Premier line when the front desk clerk was still hassling me about giving her my credit card. I told the PP Desk that I was being refused checkin, and the PP Desk instructed the clerk to check me in without further ado, and that was done. As I said, I do not object to some "reasonable" amount of deposit, and while I realize we can disagree on what is "reasonable", I would submit that $100/daily is not reasonable. I won't quarrel with anyone here who thinks that $100/daily is reasonable, but that's just my opinion. As I said, it's not so much a matter of the money with me, it just riles me up how companies think they can just tie up your funds like they do.