FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Is there a consistent incidental hold policy?
Old Jul 30, 2008, 8:28 pm
SkiAdcock
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by cyberdad
Add me to the list of those who'd like to see some sort of standardization to the credit card hold policy. One approach might be calculate a standard percentage to go on top of room/tax to be added at check in....then "topped up" if/when the level of room charges dictate during the course of the stay.

Also, it may be my imagination, but I get the impression that the FS hotels are lately helping themselves to bigger (and less "realistic") authorizations. (Heck of a business when you can just nick customers credit cards for whatever you want, and then let them find out about it later!)

And yes, I've seen the little signs at a few front desks explaining the policy.
(As for Amex.... The fact that its my least favorite card is basically what makes this an issue in the first place.)

I agree w/ the above & before some FTers come on saying hey, there's a card at the front desk, let us remind them that it's RARE for that to occur. Almost as rare as BigFoot...

Speaking only for myself, I'm tired of big holds (especially overseas) & I'm definitely tired of 7-day drop-offs (I've timed them on overseas), but I'm also tired of the inconsistencies on US properties, although for the most part their holds aren't 'quite' as onorous as int'l and don't last as long.

I never used to check my cc's after check-in for holds/available amounts until getting nicked a few times. Now I do it cuz truthfully I never know what is going to be put on there, and I can no longer 'assume'.

Give us a consistent policy & give us resonable amounts of holds & reasonable times of holds.

Cheers.