FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - looking for a mentor
View Single Post
Old Jul 27, 2008, 5:25 pm
craz
Suspended

Originally Posted by hinsopa
Hi Everyone,
I didn't get any takers for my request for a mentor, so I am back asking questions

I am doing the promotion on Delta;however, my miles weren't posted by budget so I am still bugging them about this. Avis did post. That will not give me enough miles for my trip planned Sept. 8. So, I am having to purchase a ticket and want to be sure I am getting the biggest bang for this expense. Since I have some Delta miles I am thinking I should fly Delta, correct? Is there anything else I can do to make more miles? Any suggestions for a flight ? I appreciate all your help. I belong to almost all the blogs and especially learn from the frugaltravel guy but he hasn't answered my emails. Thanks.
welcome

even if the miles from Budget had posted , you might have had enough miles for a free coach SkySaver tkt 25k , but that doesnt mean that DL would have been offering any 25k tkts in that mkt when you wanted it or at all.

DL doesnt offer too many 25k tkts they usually offer free tkts at the SkyChoice rate which is 50k and not always to every destination either

Now that you will be purchasing a tkt, dont forget to check out how much NorthWest wants. Either way you will need to make at least 1 stop. And if NW is cheaper you can buy that and always give NW your DL# an dget credit on your DL acct even thou you actually flew NW. A good place to go to see what is being offered is www.orbitz.com , also check any airport that is within x time from CLT. When Im gonna fly somewhere being based in NY, I check all of the following before actually purchasing JFK,LGA,EWR,PHL,BDL (2 1/2 hrs drive, and BWI 4 hr drive.

the other week I needed to get out to PDX it was $1200 from everywhere, BWI was $340, so I drove down to BWI, added appx $50 in gas and still was $800 cheaper then anything else.Whats funny is my 1st flight was flying up to EWR to catch a non-stop out to PDX that would have cost me $800 if I just flew it out of EWR.

w/o looking Id imagine Mt to be a very expensive tkt, not many flights. Sort of like going into Kalispell,Mt its alot cheaper flying into Spokane renting a car and driving the 4 hrs to FCA. thats why I also look at different airports to fly into and not only fly out of.