FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Consolidated "Which/how many Island(s) Should I Visit? What Order? How Long?" thread
Old Jul 25, 2008, 1:33 am
Lavarock7

Programs: BA, DL, HA, etc
What I have Found

1st, if someone offers you suggestions about Hawaii, and that person does not LIVE in Hawaii, take their information with a grain of sand (or salt).

Many people mean well, but are confused. You can tell because they come here and say "back in the states...".

I suggest people try to book their flights here using a stopover or an open jaw. Since you are travelers here, I'll let you do the investigation of the above.

Kauai needs about 4 days, Oahu probably 2, Maui a couple of days, but the Big Island needs at least a week. Here is why.

I do an island orientation each week for Kona visitors and talk about 3 day trips. The first goes along the west coast to Havi and then doubles back down into Waimea. Then down the upper road into Kona again. That is a 1/2 to 3/4 day trip. If you stop at Hapuna Beach or the resorts, you need 3/4 to a full day.

Then there is the Southern drive. It goes from Kona to Kealakekua Bay to the Place of Refuge to the black sand beach and ends at the volcano (the active one). After a few hours, you return to Kona, winding out the full day.

Then a third trip takes you from Kona, up the coast and over through Waimea to the east side. I have them stop at Akaka/Kahuna Falls, then into Hilo for lunch. Perhaps they spend hours in the town, or run down into Puna to see the current lava flow outside the park. Then it is back up through Hilo to Kona. That is a full day trip too!

So about 3 days of driving and you just touched the surface of the Big Island. You have not yet been on a beach, shopping or snorkling. I often have gustes who spend a week and barely get anything done and they are active the whole time.

With the current lava flows I can't think of a reason to not come to the Big Island :-)