FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - A mad couple of days flying, including domestic international flights
Old Jul 22, 2008, 10:15 pm
Kiwi Flyer
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Domestic leg of international flight

Air NZ also has a few flights a week from Japan to Auckland that go via Christchurch. It was this flight that I'd spied some availability and was hoping to switch to (I was on a premium ticket that affords the necessary flexibility). At the ticket desk I was rebuffed but a kind angel agreed with me that it was stupid for me to be sitting in the lounge for a few hours until my booked flight when there were seats available on the earlier international flight (boarding in 15 minutes time), and so I was quickly changed across - thanks ^

Back to the international terminal. As I had the required orange domestic sticker I was quickly through immigration with just a quick photo ID check. As I got the same agent who'd processed me arriving less than 30 minutes ago I expected some grief but she made no comment. No international departure fee due either.

I had enough time for a quick drink in the international lounge before boarding. The call in the lounge was made a bit early as they first boarded the through passengers from Japan, and only afterwards the rest of us. The flight was fairly full, but with a reasonable number of empty seats including the middle seat next to me.

As with the Beijing flights I made use of the gate to gate IFE (movies and shows are switched on even before boarding is completed with games switched on only after take-off). Unlike years ago, no meal service on the flight however we did get a cookie instead of casava crisps/banana chips/lolly mix (as well as the tea, coffee or water).

On arrival at Auckland the immigration officer spied one of my other boarding passes in my pocket and wanted to process me as an international arriving passenger I dissuaded him and made my way to customs. The entrance to customs has now been moved to the far end of the baggage claim area - so in the past couple of months not only is there a longer walk to immigration there is now also a longer walk to customs. Grrr. I was waived through on showing the orange sticker and no xray either (which surprised me).