FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - A mad couple of days flying, including domestic international flights
Old Jul 22, 2008, 7:50 pm
Kiwi Flyer
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
I arrived at the airport rather later than I intended and missed a couple of planned catch-ups at the airport. Other than a couple of chinese lanterns and a vertical banner for the inaugural flight there didn't seem to be anything special at check in. I noticed the departure screens listed "PEK" instead of Beijing.

I was soon checked into my seat and confirmed that I could not check in for the return flight. Immigration and security were both quick and I was soon welcomed back to the lounge. I grabbed a shower, and then a couple of drinks while waiting for someone (who ended up not making the lounge due to late arrival of the domestic flight on an already tight connection). I had a quick chat with some agents and then made to wander back into the conservatory where a reception was being held for the flight. Annoyingly this wasn't mentioned at check in, and I noticed some others had goodies like a special baggage tag which I'd also missed out on. By now it was time to head to the gate for boarding.

With the gate lounge crowded for the first flight festivities I found a spot near the back and waited. There was some jasmine tea on offer. I got nabbed by a friendly agent and moved further forward. While waiting for the speeches we had a quick chat. The speeches were brief and really there was little fanfare. No official trade/government delegations. The VIPs on this flight were limited to some Air NZ board members and selected senior staff, Auckland mayor and MP and a couple of other minor dignatories. The only highlight of the festivities was an impromptu speech by an elderly Chinese lady. Mr Fyfe looked bemused and uncertain whether to stop her or let her keep mouthing off.

The flight was full in business class (with just a handful of paying passengers), but a light load down the back.

A special inaugural flight menu was created for the flight, but honestly it seemed no different to what I'd expect as a regular menu. See here. The gift was a specially labelled set of Pacifica goops. Why does NZ keep doing this? Anyone connecting to another flight loses the gift at security.

I managed to get a few hours sleep, after much talking and watching a few movies. The last time I was in Beijing the new terminal was still a big construction site. Also, this time I could see a little bit of blue sky!

Last edited by Kiwi Flyer; Jul 22, 2008 at 7:57 pm