FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Bangkok Tailors [PRE-2013 ARCHIVE]
View Single Post
Old Jul 20, 2008, 10:10 pm
yosithezet
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by KosraeTV
I'm in BKK now and have gone back to Herrmann suits www.herrmannsuits.com for about the 5th time after trying a few others over the years. No issues, I prefer to get two fittings at least if not three but they are always right on (for me) and never had an issue on the 2nd or 3rd fitting except change style (hidden collar buttons, change collar collor, etc...) They keep my measurements and ship me items via mail as well and they are spot on still. They also travel and can update their measurements while they travel. Good folks.
At the recommendation of KosraeTV I decided to try Herrmann for my first experience of tailored clothing. I had a few BKK stopovers in the last month so it seemed like a good opportunity. I decided to get a suit, two pair of pants and two shirts. For the additional pants, I had some pleated dockers that I really liked which had worn out so I took them with and asked that they be copied. For the shirts, I wanted one of them to have French cuffs so I could finally use the cuff links I bought in CMB 2 years ago.

The first visit to Herrmann's was on a Friday. We discussed concerns I had with regards to travel in hot, humid climates and what fabrics would work best. I was measured and fabrics were selected.

The next day, on Saturday, I had a fitting with the tailor, rather than salespeople, where I tried one of the extra pants, the two shirts, the suit jacket sans sleeves and the suit pants. At this point we identified that due to the different material being used for the extra pants they didn't fit quite like the dockers. I was hesitant to make a change assuming that it would work out in the end as I wear them a few times.

On the following Saturday I was able to try everything on. We were now down to the final bits of fine tuning. I was very happy to find that they had made adjustments to the extra pants that I hadn't asked for to ensure that they fit better. The collar of one of the shirts was too tight and it had a bit of extra fabric at the nape of the neck. The suit pants were missing suspender buttons which I'd asked for. Everything was noted and on Monday I went it to pick everything up after ensuring that all the fine tuning was complete.

I spent the next week test-driving the new threads and am very happy with how they turned out. Price-wise, all of the items together came out the same as the mediocre-quality, off the rack Men's Wearhouse suit which I bought last year. Now to have an extra pair of the suit pants made so that I can wear the jacket a few days in a row when traveling. Who said FlyerTalk is about points and miles? It is clearly about the shopping!