FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Consolidated "Molokai - Where to stay, what to do, where to eat, activities" thread
Old Jul 20, 2008, 1:58 pm
freespirit

Smile Thank you all for the information.

Thanks for all the responses.

We will be staying at the Wavecrest Resort. We picked that resort as we wanted to be direct oceanfront, the condo is in building "A" second story. We are going during Whale season and hopefully we can see them from our Lanai. The owner seems real nice and he worked out a REAL good deal for a month stay. Recently remodeled condo and is set up with DSL and an office area with printer for our laptops, which we will have to utilize (as unfortunately we will have to work during the day as normal while we are there) BUT the positive side of that our work hours will be from 4-5AM -Noon M-F. because of the time difference. Therefore we will not loose any work days or income while we are on vacation and will still have plenty of time to enjoy Molokai.

Yes, I have heard the ranch has shut down and have regularly googled Molokai before we even made our decision to stay there. I understand that there is termoil on the island now due to La'au point and the ranch wanting to develope etc. It is very sad and I sincerely feel for the locals on the island that this has happened and that there is controversy between them. Wish the ranch would have stayed open, I just feel for all the people that losts there jobs.

I think we will adapt fine to the surroundings of Molokai as we come from a small North Idaho resort type town of less then 300 residence. The closest bank, gas station, large grocery store etc. is about 45 miles RT for us to drive to even our small convience store in town is only open from 9-6 PM daily and it seems as if our small town rolls the sidewalks up by dark. In the summer all the vacationers come to our area for summer fun and vacations etc. So population of 300 goes to about 2,000 easly in the summer months, but only for about 3 months and then it is back to us locals to enjoy the mountains, lake and area. Where we live MAYBE a dozen vehilces drive by our place on a daily basis and thats only because there is a working horse ranch past our place about 3 miles away. Our closest neighbor is about 1/4 mile away.

We are a very laid back couple and get along with people easily, so I think we will be fine we will not be going with a "attitude" that the locals would find offensive. We picked Molokai for the very reasons it is noted for the quietness and slow pace. We felt the other islands were to busy for us when we did visit them. But we do love all the islands that we have visited so far.

My husband loves music and loves to play music any chance he can get, we probally will be frequently going to the jam sessions they have in Kaunakakai to listen to music and maybe my husband can sit in with them and play. Thats IF I can talk him into bringing one of his instruments like his guitar or fiddle.

Thanks for all the responses so far - it has made me feel better about a month stay.

Maholo,

Last edited by freespirit; Jul 20, 2008 at 3:09 pm