FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Award Fuel Surcharges Masquerading As 'Taxes'.....Time For An 'Inside Flyer' Expose
Old Jul 18, 2008, 9:50 am
ITA Hacker
Company Representative - ITA Software

Originally Posted by djohannw
Except for the fact that the "plating" airline may consider this behaviour "misplating" and charge a penalty for that to the travel agent. See e.g. this information from KLM/Air France.
I was unaware of this, and I know several US airlines that have no such policy. Thanks for bringing this to my attention!

I would assume that all carriers have similar regulations/penalties in place to ensure they won't get hassled with issuing tickets for airlines that may get broke before flight time, as they are liable for transport by alternate means in such a case...but these also work against the intention to avoid YQ/YR surcharges.
I would think that it would be the fare owning carrier that is responsible for the substitute transportation, not the plating carrier. It's the fare carrier's tariff that applies to the transportation it pays for.

I have no idea what happens when one of the airlines go out of business, but it seems to me that the validating carrier is in a position of relative strength, since they're holding the money.