FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Prepaid Bic Phone Launches In France Next Month
Old Jul 14, 2008, 11:16 pm
Landing Gear

Programs: AA Platinum 2.3MM (Lifetime PLT)
Originally Posted by 601
I am sorry if you found the question hostile,

You can get any handset as Mobicarte - they advertise the Mobicarte price along side the contract price. Just goto les mobiles.

The Sagem my810x is 29 Euros on Mobicarte.

Screenshot
Yes, indeed, the Sagem is close to the bottom of the page which is not automatically in price order and you're right, it's 29€.

Saying that you can buy any phone on Mobicarte is slightly misleading. First, you can't buy the iPhone on Mobicarte, although up until now you could buy one unlocked. The Orange France version comes out on Thursday so we'll see what price they'll have. (The unlocked price is not yet posted.)

Second, a phone like a Nokia N95 will cost a subscriber like me 79€. If someone walked into an Orange Boutique and were willing to pay the Mobicarte price of 499€ I suspect they would call the SAMU and have him carted away for psychiatric examination. That would get you a LOCKED phone good only for PREPAID service on Orange France in France. Sounds like a great idea to me.

One of the problems of Mobicarte has always been the setup time. I suspect Orange took a look at Virgin Mobile, AT&T GoFone, Tracfone and other "out of the box" products and figured to try this.

Ultimately, I think the retailers will have a strong voice in what sells. If the CDG store I recommended in the SIM card sticky decides it's better for them to stock the Bic phone which they can simply hand to the customer as opposed to the "regular" Mobicarte phones they need to set up, they might well go with the Bic phone.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend certain people spending 10 or 20 Euros more for a phone that they can immediately use on the ride into Paris without waiting for a store clerk to do anything other than give them a receipt.