FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Upgrade questions - two people on one pnr
Old Jul 14, 2008, 11:26 am
fadeforward

Programs: UA 1K, SPG
Originally Posted by weero
Which is in strong support that the UA PA WL system cannot jump pax, it is a simple FIFO mechanism that processes input linearly.

Not once have I encountered a situation where the PA jumps. And until this July the agents gladly informed us that we three on an NC2 flight were at the top of the WL with another 8 pax waitlisted.
I would love to hear other people's experiences with this. It certainly goes against what I perceive to be the conventional wisdom on FT. Of course, I have no problem with the system as you are describing it. It seems the most fair, in any case. It's not as if the 8 pax are being held back; you were first, after all.

There are only two problems. The first is that those of us scouting award inventory might see false NC availability, e.g., NC1 but there are two people at the top of a long waitlist, so our upgrades wouldn't clear immediately.

Second, if there were some short-sighted IM decision rule that inhibits NC release if there is NC availability, e.g., NC2, so IM decides not to release seats, but in fact a party of 3 is blocking NC clearance.

Originally Posted by weero
Last, I would be reluctant for a split in any case - a 1K is not a really high status for UA. If you are on a GS infested route, then 1Ks get bounced easily. And then you have your companion in the front and you have no seat blocking while stuck there.
I am confused about your reasoning here. They both have E+ access. There is no middle-seat blocking for elites. I'm not sure what advantage you're referring to when it comes to linked PNRs.