FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Consolidated "Which/how many Island(s) Should I Visit? What Order? How Long?" thread
Old Jul 14, 2008, 10:30 am
lovefletch

Originally Posted by vdostoi1
I am in the same boat as you but am going to go on my honeymoon in October of this year. Basically, I want to list my plans and see if any in the know on this forum might provide any assistance. We will have two weeks in HI so I have planned the following so far. We will be staying for five days on Kauai and then we were going to go to Kona coast for the next six days of our vacation. However, I have heard that it rains on the big island and so were advised against going to the Big Island and instead to opt for going to Maui. Anyone have any suggestions? Also, for the OP to whose thread I replied. I really would not spend your time and money in Honolulu - just a big city with lots of shops and highrises. Same thing you would get, for instance, in Miami or a similar place. So I really would spend a day or two there but no more - move to the other islands.
Yeah, I talked to some friends this weekend who also advised against Hono for more than a couple days.
I think our plan now is:
Fly to Kauai, stay 5-7 days
Fly to Maui- stay in condo for 7 days, 5 days at Grand Wailea- I really would love to stay here...I'm hoping we can go for a little over 2 weeks.
My friends who stayed in Maui have been several times and they recommend a condo. Their's was nice, right on the beach.

So, all in all, I have figured out thus far: Kauai is very relaxing, pretty much just spend days on the beach, surf, etc. Maui has more options with a lot of activities, day cruises, etc...
Good luck with planning...be sure to post a trip report!